PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DfT/CAA Jump Seat Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2002, 19:21
Horatio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to be boring, but can I ask you all to focus on one issue for a while;

Not allowing access to the jump-seat and by implication therefore allowing access to the flight deck for a visit are really one and same. Whether the person is sitting in the jumpseat or standing in the cockpit, are one and the same from a security point of view.

I have a 'vested interest' in the whole issue of security and who should even be allowed to enter an airplane or indeed, a secure area in an airport. There are products and systems that could 'kill' most of the undesirables that ever get past the first security point at an airport. As I said before, once a potential terrorist gets to the threshold of an airplane, you are probably damned. No amount of security on board such as steel cockpit doors will help you, unless you adopt the practices of El-Al. They knew and they deal very effectively with threats aganst their own.

The technology is there; it costs, but no-one will take the responsibility for airline security; not the governments, the airports nor the airlines. All of these know the opportunity is there, but they won't pay for it. My question is; 'Don't you think they should? and if so, who should pay for it?' Maybe this requires a different poll?