PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Fixed Wing to a Heli Lesson
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:04
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can land a helicopter with forward speed BUT don't try and hover yer plank - that would likely be a bad end to your day

I've taught 3-4 students who have fixed wing licenses of about your experience (only on a handful occasions where i've known them to fly both the same day), and in truth usually they have been pretty good, airmanship has been developed to some extent, radio works a doddle, spatial awareness is pretty good and it leaves more capacity for learning, and to take in the differences/subtleties. I find the most common error is learning the difference in approach speed judgement coupled with the need for compensating for loss of translation lift etc during the approach which might be more 'hands-on' than the normal fixed wing approach(?). I wouldn't know as i've only flown rotary, but as I started - there's not too much problem initially if you find yourself not bringing back the speed enough on the approach with old fixed wing habits, as the technique will develop and that'll go, but don't take your new nicely perfected approach back into your plane!

Last edited by Aucky; 24th May 2012 at 00:15. Reason: splling :)