PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6questions from Handling the big jets
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2002, 17:52
dynamite dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6questions from Handling the big jets

I have just bought Handling the big jets...I'm at that stage of my career now...

Read it a few times and wanted to clear up some questions I have any takers be great....

1.I have always been lead to believe that flying for endurance initially you would think highe but I was told at lower altitudes because the wings can produce lift easier..HBJ states that you go high I'm confused?

2.EAS is something I don't use in my flying but Vs EAS rises slightly as you climb for example, in what use of EAS does it become significant to talk about it in flying I use IAS or TAS but I have to say my knowledge in terms of talking about EAS in Flying is very limited ! - HELP

3.Why does a jet engine produce more thrust at higher rpm than lower RPM and a Piston doesn't say?

4.Why are those bloody performance figures for pistons only ever quoted in 65% and 75%values only? - only I have never deared to ask anyone for fear of someone saying you twit!

5.HBJ talks a lot about Vdf /Mdf I thought the fastest you could go in jet terms (remember I am still a piston pilot?!) was Vmo/Mmo so what is going on I talk Vne HBJ talks Mmo and you could goto Mdf if you want!!!!! aggghhh!!! I'm getting confused.

6.I think this is an extension of Q5 but at high Mach can you by deflecting a control surface too much put the wing through the sound barrier is this what the great D.P Davies means when he says beware mach buffet at high Mach No. etc...

7. Thankyou to those of you who may answer my thread.