PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:33
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
So my case is based on: STARTLE (agree?), loss of scan, loss of orientation, and loss of the plot.....This in the first twenty seconds, max. The only save was for the PNF to take over. He didn't. The rest is merely interesting, but the game was over quickly. The PNF and later the Captain, failed, for whatever combination of reasons, to call off the jam, send the RightSeat to jump seat, and fly the plane.
For once I do. I do agree with you, Lyman.
Now, if you would admit that the startle factor doesn't necessarily need (as shown is another AF widebody from Caracas, which made it to Paris) another aircraft malfunction (beside those we already know i.e. pitot freezing & consequences), it would be terrific.

roulishollandais, I was sarcastic at one point, but didn't try to show too much cynism. Perhaps a translation issue? My concern was about the idea about asking pilots to fly manually in RVSM space: With current mean flying levels, I'm afraid it will lead to mid-airs (or airproxes, at last) far too often to be acceptable. I would prefer it was possible to have every crew in the airliner world being able to do this (pretty basic, when you think about it), but when it come to be reliable upon a long period of time, and detecting/alerting as soon as reliability cannot be assured, I'm sorry but we must face it : a computer (never tired, never distracted) do that better than a human being.