PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to reduce heavy maintenance labour by 60%
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:48
SpannerTwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airsupport
I was a fully Licenced LAME for some 40 years, Licenced Airframes and Engines on many Aircraft from F27s and Viscounts, DC9s, B727s, B737s, MD80s through to B767s and A300 and A310s, and have done quite a few preflights on all of those types.

However I was never Licenced on B747s for example, so there is NO WAY despite my decades of training and experience as a LAME that I would ever pretend that I could preflight a B747 properly, yet someone with little or no training thinks they can.
Are there my friend, is the nub of the problem

With those decades of experience we've learnt not only what we can do, but what we cannot do.

Ironically I'd feel perfectly safe flying in the 747 that you pre-flighted, that you wouldn't pre-flight, precisely because you know what you do not know.

Anyone who thinks they have a handle on aircraft maintenance after doing a "tick-and-flick" course is deluding only themselves.

Talk to me when you've done a four-year apprenticeship, got a licence and then five years experience as a LAME under your belt.

FFS, trades such as motor mechanic, plumber, house painter or hairdresser are 3 - 4 year apprentiships (or equivalent), how does the media, CASA, Qantas Management or anyone with half a brain think that aircraft maintenance is a two-week "tick-and-flick" course ?

ST

Last edited by SpannerTwister; 23rd May 2012 at 06:49.