PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swept wing for dummies!
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:40
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, to be honest, did not exactly crack my mind, appreciate the effort.

I do understand the principle and effect, but looking for a very simple way to explain it, without getting to technical.

I first thought:
Thickness / Chord ratios decides when sonic shockwave is formed. By decreasing the T/C, the shockwave will form late.

In a straight wing with same thickness as a swept wing, the Chord in the swept wing, this will give us a smaller Thickness / Chord ratio, and hence a shockwave will form later, as the wing seems to be thinner, because of the smaller T/C ratio for the Swept wing.

However the problem with this, it might bring up other questions, that will only complicate matters.
Is the effective chord on the swept wing is the chord normal to the swept wing, however the air will not be flowing this way, but across the diagonal vector across the swept wing, which due it's geometry will be longer, hence an apparently longer chord, decreasing the T/C ratio.

But what I fear, with this, other questions might pop up, like why does this than delay the formation of Mcrit?

Because there air has to travel longer, and will slow down, so it allows the aircraft to go faster before shock-wave is formed?

Hm still don't find it simple to explain without getting myself into a dump!