PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:37
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doze.

Even in Normal Law this would have brought the aircraft to the edge of stall - those inputs were not only in excess of what was required, but also in excess of what was sensible. Discussion of control laws is a red herring, because it has absolutely no bearing on why those inputs were so inappropriately excessive in the first place.

Early on, we were treated to closeup video of short finals/touchdown, the pilots handling were stirring mayonnaise, yet the camera outside showed the a/c virtually on rails, very impressive, to see such stickwork. Now that means they were: Johnny Ace, able to fly through anything on a rail, or a forgiving a/c, smoothing stck to find a stable path.

All due respect, the stick was excessive, and the a/c shone brightly as a sweetie.
So I am calling mayonnaise on Bonin, him thinking the ship would smooth his "whatever" stickwork into grease....e thought he was in NORMAL, and made no effort to modify his stick inputs to a LAW of which he was unaware?

LAW has everything to do with everything, in those first twenty seconds. it took the a/c some seconds to load up, and go up, and once committed, no one would be able to suss her attitude. So think DIRECT in roll, and ask: Would this pilot, aware of his AL DIRECT ROLL, act as if he was low, and the a/c made him look good? I say no, and so I conclude his handling bespoke NORMAL, with protections. At 2:10:22, when PNF says "....ALTERNATE LAW", I think he was preoccupied, no, I KNOW he was preoccupied. Why? A pilot who does not know whether he is climbing, at Mach .80, or descending, has not thought of which LAW obtains. So my case is based on: STARTLE (agree?), loss of scan, loss of orientation, and loss of the plot.....This in the first twenty seconds, max. The only save was for the PNF to take over. He didn't. The rest is merely interesting, but the game was over quickly. The PNF and later the Captain, failed, for whatever combination of reasons, to call off the jam, send the RightSeat to jump seat, and fly the plane.