PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:04
jibba_jabba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I woulnd't use the word 'short cutting', people were presented an opportunity and promised certain things and after a certain period time made a decision to either accept or decline.

The argument your putting forward by stating you learn more from going the traditional ga route rather than being a cadet is sometimes confusing to me. Are you saying that by being a 'cadet' and flying with seasoned captains with 1000's of hours is less valuable than going ga? I don't know .....
Are you saying you cant learn to fly unless your being told what to do by experienced captains from Rex cadetship? Thats what your CPL/MECIR is for! Then, putting all that practical to work and building and "experience tower" on those foundations is what GA gives you;
The instructors that teach you at Rex are cadets who went through the course! LOL, yes they can teach the basics, but my god, you still walk out wth a MECIR with no experience in the real world just like a GA pilot!

So Yes, you are short cutting your way into an RPT job. Simple as that.

Like an apprentice, you learn from experienced people but do small jobs to start with, and as your competency grows you get more responsibility. Just like GA...... 172 --> 182/206/etc --> twin --> regional turboprop --> jet (if ur lucky)......

Cadetships/cadets work hard and study hard, no doubt; but in no way know more about aviation than anyone that has been a diligent cpl student.

However the G.A pilot then develops people skills and work skills and a hell of alot of "ups and downs" in the GA world, but nether the less, "cuts his teeth" with tenacity and gets that edge of reality and sense of achievement that walking into a job cant get you.

Yes they made a choice; but whether they were promised things by Rex management, knowing full well the cadets would never really get them, is something they were FULLY warned about in this and many other threads. it aint hard to find.

So i see your point but reject it.

Some cadets are a joy to fly with, and clearly have put in the work. Some also have attitudes, and some just are not that good. A mixed response but, after a few years of open mindedness and learning they are generally fine, just that this avenue gives companies like Rex a way to use that against, ironically the same pilot group that "cadets" will be a part of!

either way, the decision you make is yours alone; I find that people who take this cadet path are either scared of the "unknowns" in aviation and want to avoid them; or just want to get moving in the career because they are older or its a career change; and some just want to do the job because they can say they are an airline pilot at parties and wear the rayban/topgun sunnies!

reality is, that either way you can just scrape by, as an f/o at Rex, but that was achieved of the backs of those who knew better (G.A pilots!) who kept pushing for wage increases. Problem is as a new joiner you are just happy to have a job, which inturn lowers your expectations for salary, and thus in turn dilutes the very pool of wealth you though this career was!

Double edged sword i tells you :-)

either way.... ramble ramble,....
over and out.

Last edited by jibba_jabba; 22nd May 2012 at 17:06.