PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:16
Robertson31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vero...That's too bad. If I was on an airplane and knew the pilot had thousands of hours flying in the Canadian arctic in Metro's I'd feel pretty good. The real interesting part of flying Metro's or other airplanes in harsh conditions is that the experience is the best teacher. There is no substitute for that and CX knows that and for those who think they can circumvent that type of flying and get onto a transport category airplane you are mistaken. The kids who don't understand the importance of getting the exam first and then the lesson after will be missing out on the most important and fun part of any aviation on the job training. There is just no way CX will be able to move zero or low time pilots into flying positions on the heavy metal with any degree of long-term safety. This has been tried by Asian airlines for years and they have the worst safety records outside of Africa and Russia (they were only able to change this when they brought back experienced Western pilots). CX does understand this and when they do have a real shortage of co-pilots as thier Captains retire they will bring back direct entry candidates again who have thousands of jet hours. I doubt they would put their planes and reputation in the hands of a pilot who hasn't Touched the controls of an airplane in years where the only flying they did do before that was at a flight school in single engine Tobago's. Common guys...think this through. Your going into fill an immediate need as cheap labor only. They'd put flight attendants in that position if they could but they earn too much. The likelyhood of real advancement without real flight time in aviation is real low. Sorry to rain on people's parade but that's the way I see it. CX doesent really intend to move you into flying positions and they don't exactly have a great reputation of fulfilling promises either. They will do whats in their best interest not yours.

Last edited by Robertson31; 22nd May 2012 at 14:24.