PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loan And Funding For Prospective Pilots In Nigeria
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:15
eagleflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usman,

Rotary wing training is almost twice as expensive as fixed wing training. Getting sponsorship will not be easy. My advise, go get a degree and Bristow will consider you. you DO NOT need connections to get into Bristow. I got selected for the cadet program without knowing anybody.
I must warn you though, not everybody can fly. I came across people in flight school who loved aviation but just couldn't make it through. Theres a lot of studying involved, some fly very well but just can't pass the exams and vice versa.
In the mean time, find something useful to do with your time while still looking for sponsorship. If you can get a non-pilot job in an airline, perfect, but that'll be hard without a degree.
I know a lot of pilots who have degrees, I can confidently say that most Nigerian pilots have university degrees. It's an added advantage and there's no such thing as wasted knowledge.
Besides that, speak to your state government.

You say flying is a hobby, we all love flying but when you work as a pilot, trust me, it becomes a chore. 6 landings in bad weather coupled with fuel delays is no joke. If I could rewind, I'd PROBABLY have worked with my Geology degree and saved up for a PPL and a Beechcraft Baron and just fly for leisure.

You need passion to survive in this industry and you seem to have it which is a good sign. I wish you the best of luck in finding a sponsor but you should realize its also possible without sponsorship. If you really love flying, explore other avenues to raise funds.go to school, get a degree, get a job, save a lotta money, get ur licenses and in the end you'll be fulfilled. You did it all by yourself.

Godspeed mate