PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:49
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace how many ab initio students have you trained ?
Big Pistons

I am not an instructor but I think I have enough "hard" experience to give an opinion.
I have flown with a number of very experienced old time instructors who are what I call "handling" pilots.
A check ride with them involved taking a twin up to 12K and putting it through every stall config imaginable (not spins Shutting down engines for real etc.
This is not so much about spinning but about putting the emphasis back to creating HANDLING PILOTS rather than aircraft drivers.
Nowadays we have every type of gizmo fitted to aircraft and right through the airliners its becoming more and more the case of on goes the autopilot.
Even on jets when I flew as a first officer one Captain insisted we hand flew on positioning flights for maintenance. Out of RVSM airspace it kept you on your toes. Good for the soul!
So while I agree spinning should have much greater guidlines on the altitude they are practiced and even the aircraft which are approved they should be done as equally so should spiral dives.
Am I in a Spiral dive or a spin?
Not so stupid when you have lost it in cloud or poor visibilty.They dont all happen near the ground.
The idea that modern instructors are not up to teaching spin training beggers belief! They are instructors ???

Addendum

As a last thought the modern trend is for recovery at incipient stage and flying within the box!
My own concern with that is most accidents occur when the pilot is distracted or confused or in a situation which is more than he can handle.
While its all very good training to incipient and recognition that doesnt square up with reality.
before you blink your in a full blooded stall which you have never really experienced or even a spiral dive or spin etc.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 22nd May 2012 at 10:51.