PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:45
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
Machinbird (re : #845)
Having 100% "real" pilots is a nice thing. But is it achievable?
In my opinion it is. We have enough time in the air to do all sorts of useful training. We just have to figure out how to accomplish the training given our operational constraints.
I think it's easier (and cheaper) to have an obligation to carry (and use) an A/P to this class of aircrafts, than to have a proficient crew.
In fact, it would be better to have both (as in the "part time manual flying" you evocated), but then the risk would be a manual "super pilot" out of a flight school not really up to what should be expected... this super pilot cannot hold his F/L within 200 or 300ft, but is cleared to fly in RVSM because his paper say he could.
It's far easier to assess if a "machine" works as intended or not, than to assess the proficiency (airmanship, SOP adherence...) of a human being.
AlphaZuluRomeo, I think this viewpoint will lead us down the slippery slope leading to no one in the cockpit and when the unthinkable happens, the MBAs will have already factored in the loss into their financial planning.

I am not sure why you are using the term "super pilot" except perhaps in a sarcastic vein. The expected level of altitude maintenance accuracy is achievable by properly trained pilots. Early in our advanced Naval pilot training sequence, my classmates and I could all hit this level of performance or we did not advance. Even if a new FO is a little shaky there are things that can be done that will allow him/her to build the necessary competence.

Let us think outside the box for a moment. Supposing we added in a manual flying training mode into our aircraft.

How did you learn to hold altitude? When you began to get a little off altitude, didn't your instructor cluck at you and if you continued to diverge, didn't he give the stick a nudge to put you back in the tolerance band. Why couldn't our aircraft with their sophisticated autopilots do something similar? No need to breech RVSM limits yet we can still get actual handling time and build a scan. Any pilot worth his salt hates having the stick nudged. When you get tired, you can let OTTO have the complete aircraft. Think of the potential to actually monitor a pilot's handling skill and to automatically record actual handling time! True, you won't get as much time to balance your checkbook or to read a magazine, but remember why you are sitting in the front seats!