PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to reduce heavy maintenance labour by 60%
Old 21st May 2012, 22:33
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are other issues here too, sure it is so sad to see more Aussies lose their jobs, and although many of them may be happy to retire early or find another career what of the future.

Okay Qantas say they do NOT need all this expertise, and are happy to get what work is needed done offshore cheaper, but where does this leave the Industry, future Workers and Apprentices etc.

I have posted this before, however I think it is VERY relevant........

Way back when I was an Apprentice (late 1960s sometime), Ansett arranged for one of our Carvairs to go to Hong Kong for overhaul purely to save money, the then Australian Government stepped in, they allowed that one to go but banned future ones planned in the National Interest, they would NOT allow all the expertise and experience to be lost to Australia in case of any future Wars or Conflicts when we then would NOT want to be in a situation where we did not have the skills here to look after our own Aircraft and were relying on some other Country.

Surely this is even more relevant today, after all the Terrorism and Wars going on.

Obviously neither the current Government or Qantas give a you know what about our safety and security.