PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 21st May 2012, 22:28
Epiphany

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You PPL's fly helicopters for fun right? A very expensive hobby and I personally can think of much better ways of spending money but there you go...

Do you get a thrill scrabbling around at 200' agl over misty, wooded hillsides crapping yourself and wondering if there is a big nasty set of wires up ahead. No? Then why the hell would you risk getting into that situation in the first place?

TTB - if you concentrated on the important issue of not becoming airborne in marginal weather conditions in the first place then you will not have to concern yourself with wondering how to get out of IIMC. Without at least an IR and LOTS of practice you will kill yourself very quickly.

[quote]
Epiphany seems to have little (relative) experience at staying Visual - just goes IMC without penalty,
I have 3,000 hours flying single-engine VFR helicopters, mostly trying to stay in VMC. I flew unstabilised Army Gazelle helicopters in IMC but I had a military Green Instrument rating, LOTS of practice and was ably assisted by RAF ATC. Yet I still scared myself on a number of occassions.

If you really want to learn then listen to the very experienced contrributors to this forum (and I am not including myself there) as they all seem to be telling you the same thing.

Last edited by Epiphany; 22nd May 2012 at 06:45.