PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 20:56
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the OP and reading thru the responses, i have a follow up question, I have been doing some basic manoeuvres, MCA and stalls with a CFI in a similar make and model to my aircraft, one thing I noticed in both aircraft is the stall is so benign you hardly notice it approaching. When I was doing my PPL many years ago in a 152 you could feel the buffet etc in the Maule i don't As crazy as this sounds the CFI said to me "Ok your stalled" and I thought i was still at MCA, I genuinely did not know i was stalled !!
Also difference between the CFI,s Maule and mine is he has an audible stall warning (which i guess i must have missed also) where I only have a lamp which in Scotland on my 27 approach on sunny evenings could, I imagine be missed quite easily. So is there any benefit to me installing a AOA indicator. I flew with a guy in Montana who did a lot of mountain flying and he swore by it. I understand that I should be more in tune with the non instrument indicators that precede a stall such as the air noise etc. but to be honest in a high workload situations I feel they could be easily missed. Any thoughts?

(Edit to add) And would a AOA indicator not be really helpful for climbing turns as a secondary source of keeping me right?

Last edited by piperboy84; 21st May 2012 at 21:13.