PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 20:39
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Pilot DAR

I suggest you go look at the limitations section of the POH for your Cessna 150.

Quote "No aerobatic maneuvers are approved except those listed below "

- "Spins"

Unquote

Cessna thinks a spin is an aerobatic maneuver as does pretty much everybody else involved in aerobatics, including regulatory authorities, competitions, and airshow acts.

Most of the first turn in a spin isn't "spinning" it is a "spin entry". The distinction is important because a normal stall recovery can still be used (which of course will always call for using rudder against any developing yaw). Once you start getting towards the end of the second turn the aircraft will now be settling into a true "spin" and the spin recovery technique specific to that aircraft must be used to guarantee that a recovery can be effected without aggravating the spin, entering a secondary stall/spin or over stressing the aircraft.

Any competent instructor should be able to teach students how to recognize and recover from the spin entry. I strongly believe that that should be the aim of the PPL level exercises and carrying on to a full spin has little value and starts getting into an area where instructors may not have enough knowledge and skill to effectively demonstrate a spin and/or recognize and correct a spin going bad.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Pace how many ab initio students have you trained ?

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 22nd May 2012 at 00:00.