PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 19:25
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
How can an instructor call themselves instructors if they do not have the skills to teach and get out of a spin?

The old idea of an instructor in anything not just aviation was someone who passed over their life time of experience to others.
Yes, thank goodness!

Though I can see Big Piston's point, I think that throwing in the term "aerobatics" in a discussion about ONE TURN spins, in flight training aircraft approved to do them, does not lend clarity. Multi turn spins are different, and beyond the scope of this statement.

I would like to think that a "pilot" has been trained and practiced every maneuver for which the aircraft is approved (as an intentional maneuver), and the flight manual specifies a procedure. Yes, I know that some flight manuals present a spin recovery procedure for non spin approved aircraft - that's not what I'm talking about.

I think that students should be afraid if they are receiving flight training from an instructor who is not competent in entering and recovering from a one turn spin in an approved aircraft type. Recall from earlier that the spin certified aircraft has demonstrated that it will not enter an unrecoverable spin with any use of the controls. I sure hope that ANY instructor can recover that! If the instructor is allowing these maneuvers to be entered too close to the ground, that is foolishness on a whole other scale!