PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 19:13
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
You were very clear Danny, and if I'd properly read your post or even stopped to think, the notion of a 1/2 lb bomb of whatever type would be plainly absurd. It just proves what I said, that things that go bang are beyond my ken!
Interesting though that you say the smaller the bomb the nastier! That needs explaining somewhat, if you wouldn't mind. Though no doubt conventional wisdom in the bombing world, it seems somewhat counter intuitive.
Bicester has original pre-war bomb stores as well as much larger capacity WWII rail-head bomb ramps and fusing huts, all naturally on the far side of the airfield from the Tech-Site. Even so there were some dreadful accidents (East Kirkby for one) where the necessary coming together of bomb and bomber proved disastrous. What arrangements were in place in your case? Were there remote mounded bomb stores, or simply pyramids of the things? Other than 11-12 lb bombs (see what I did there ;-) what others did you have? A dotting of munition i's and crossing of t's please!