PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 15:54
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one did not fully appreciate what GtE wrote in post 3:

Actual spins were eliminated from the syllabus because it was perceived that more aircraft were being lost in training
...until BPF wrote in post 60:

I firmly believe that instructors who are not competent aerobatic pilots should not be out spinning with students because they will not have a true understanding of spin dynamics, effective of controls in fully developed spins, and may not be able to recover if the aircraft does something dangerous.
My argument was that if you are overloaded or distracted you might miss the initial signs of a spin to recover at the incipient stage, but as others have said you are not likely to be in this situation at an altitude you could easily recover from anyway.

I think spin and unusual attitude recovery training is a very good thing to have but perhaps it should be left to the individual to decide whether they want to go and get it. For spinning to be included in the PPL there would probably need to be changes made to the basic FI rating so that all instructors were competent and safe in teaching it.