PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Sukhoi superjet 100 is missing
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 14:50
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions

I was about to write the same as Kulverstukas !!
Lets return to the fact finding and not speculate about differences in culture or habits or what so ever.
I have copied a map that Mr. Soejatman has published in his blog. Origin is from Lido/Lufthansa.

If he - Mr. Soejatman or his friend reports correct - the crew of the SSJ didnīt have this map on board, instead an approach chart and an airport map and their electronic flight display. According the source neither of these did show the situation of the terrain they were flying to.
Again if this is true, where should they - the crew retrieve the necessary information from to be able to refuse the given unconditioned clearance.
I agree with the foremost posters that the final responsibility for terrain clearance remains with the crew - except for Radar vestors -

However, let me ask a rethorical question: What answer can the request of an IFR-flight to descend below MORA and MSA expect from ATC ??
I believe its either: Negative, descend not possible due to terrain !
or conditional clearance: cleared to descend to 6000 ft after passing 25 DME inbound to Halim VOR.
Said this I come back to questions posted before.
1. Why did the crew ask for a descend below MORA and MSA ??
2. Why did the responsible controller approve that request unconditioned ?
3. How well was the crew briefed by locals and how useful were the
information they had at hand for their flight ?
I think itīs not easy "black and white" - all blame to the crew!!