PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 21st May 2012, 14:33
VJW

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok time for my reply- for what it's worth.

plikee

I did all my training part time in about 2.5 years, all the while working in PLD at the UK CAA issuing everyone else's licences and type ratings. I didn't spend 60k, I never would. I knew where best to go for cheap things like the PPL and hours, but I went to a good modular school for the CPL and IR. I finished with a CPL/IR and MCC only owing £9000, and before any hint of there being a recession. I fail to see how it is anyone other then your own fault if you end up in £60k debt just after one (if it's even over)!

Bearing in mind the amounts of contacts I had doing the job I was doing at the time, RYR was near enough (apart from Flybe but that would have been a £6k pay cut on my office job at the CAA) my only option. However, I had a decent job and was willing to stay there until my time came, I had a good plan B, what's yours? Think you need to get your facts straight on that one, didn't the recession hit late 2008? I think it was extremely difficult to get a job then, not the other way around. I said I joined just over 3 years ago in 2008 - not 1998

You don't have to convince me about Flag carriers. I failed BA a few years back, when a guy on my day was Dutch that passed. I would never get into KLM, but this is a totally separate issue and way off the point.

plikee It seems to me, you are missing the obvious. There is no difference between then and now with regards to Ryanair being nearly the only option to get a foot in the door for cadets. I can't comment on the numbers of intake, so I've no idea on how the length of time it takes to get a call has changed between then and now. I do know however, that the difference between you and I, is I wasn't expecting them to call me, it seems as though you and many others are.

magicmick You are correct, I feel lucky to be doing what I do, I worked hard for it, and believe I'm also good at what I do, and there are plenty of others who are unemployed that could probably do a better job too! None of this changes the fact that had they not called me, while I would be gutted, I wouldn't be demanding a reason why not, or complaining about the length of time it takes to get an interview after I merely applied. Perhaps if RYR sent out rejection emails, this type of expectation among cadets would stop. There are probably plenty on this site who think they are in a queue to be called, when actually their application has been assessed and they are not going to be called at all.

Gyro Drift I'm on 103 hrs this calendar month, maybe you need a base change