PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - refulling with engine running
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 11:29
hval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moi,

You also have to include the following: -

1/ Park in location away from anything that could be destroyed if there were an explosion. Turn off engine on side of access.
2/ Deplane all unnecessary persons to safe location
3/ Establish exclusion zone (500 m diameter) minimum
4/ Ensure attendance of briefed and trained fire personnel with fire equipment (tenders and hand extinguishers)
5/ Ensure aircraft chocked
6/ Ensure aircraft is earthed
7/ Ensure access to fueling points is safe and will not produce fod
etc...

When embarking pax and crew after refueling complete, ensure engine near to access point is not running, unless it is considered safe to embark with engines running.

The above assumes that all persons are briefed prior to task taking place, as to hazards, risks and tasking. Tool Box talks can be emailed to those involved at the airfield prior to arrival. Take spares with you and brief them again on arrival. If translation required, ensure a translater is there (with the ability to translate technical speak).

Any crew remaining with aircraft must be properly clothed, and must have a safe route of exit.

All doors shut whilst refuelling takes place can save anyone that remains aboard. If there is a fire they can exit by the nearest "safe" exit.

I recommend that you take fire safe hand held radios with you so that all can communicate. probably four or five sets.

I could go on, but hopefully you will have some ideas from my notes.

Oh yes, think about a minimum of two tenders. One to attack any fire and the second to keep safe route of exit clear of fire and also any leaking fuel that flows towards safe exit route and fuselage

How are you checking for fuel contamination? How are you checking for accuracy of amount of fuel delivered?

If you go to the Following Link, there are some useful pointers. I realise it is an Airbus document, but much is relevant.

Last edited by hval; 21st May 2012 at 12:23. Reason: I forgot.. Plus a Link