PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 09:36
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mary,

Thank you for your lesson on landing, as an instructor of over 30years with probably 1500+ hours on taildraggers I had not heard this before

I used to believe as you have said about fully stalled landings, but had a VERY experienced instructor convince me otherwise. Yes, a good landing should be approaching the stall, but if you are actually stalled then the margin for error would be such that there would probably be more heavy landings than there are. My understanding of it is that the speed is decaying so rapidly at this point that by the time you bring the stick back you will be below the stall speed, plus, moving the stick back does not actually raise the nose - it lowers the tail, and if the tail is on the ground anyway it cannot go down any further (though of course if you bounce it is no longer on the ground so CAN go down more). Personally I think the question of a taildragger being fully stalled on landing is still up for debate, but at present the arguments I have heard against it have me on the "not stalled" side of the fence.

(n.b. Some Taildraggers are definitely NOT stalled on touchdown unless you have got it wrong and I think you will find the Supercub comes into this class, I seem to remember landing one of these slightly tailwheel first a couple of times so three point attitude is certainly lower than the stalled attitude.)

Last edited by foxmoth; 21st May 2012 at 09:59.