PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 08:12
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply Foxmoth. Most of my landings (and takeoffs, to be sure) in power have been in my trusty Supercub, used for towing gliders, and your experience of buffet as the precursor of incipient stall is something my darling GOFER never never displayed, because no matter how slowly we flew, it didn't seem to depart from controlled flight!

Perhaps the point I was trying to make applies more to gliders, particularly the training glider K13. This, as I mentioned, is the most widely used in British gliding clubs, for spin demonstration and practice.

We teach fully heldoff landings. This implies that rounding out (in the US, this is called the flare) a few inches above the turf, the wings will loose their lift as the angle of attack is increased slowly moving the stick back in level flight, untill the contact with ground takes place. The stick could now be moved back all the way, and the glider WILL NOT TAKE OFF AGAIN! as it is fully stalled. If the glider were not fully stalled, it may well leap into the air again, which is called a balloon, and there is nothing more embarassing or hard on the tailbone, than to drop in vertically from a ten foot altitude.

This is why it certainly appears that a well held off landing will touch down in a stalled condition. In flight at altitude, if you move the stick back all the way, and the elevator does not react in the usual sense of raising the nose, this is the only absolute symptom of the stall. Prestall buffet, sloppy controls, ASI, everything else is a precursor; the elevator not responding is a definite indication that the glider is stalled. Of course the cure is to move the stick gently forward, and the aircraft will nose down and air begin to flow over the wings again, lift restored.

I think it is comforting for beginners to be told a stall is no big deal, you've already seen a few, and in landing a K13, at least, it should be fully stalled as it touches down.