PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 07:25
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that PPL training should look at the risks v exposure, and then try and mitigate these risks through training.

I don't think I recall a single accident where someone inadvertently entered a spin when at cruise height and failed to recover, other than during aerobatics and deliberately mishandling the aeroplane...Anyone else know of any accidents like this?

The stall / Spin accidents that I do recall have all been close to the ground and not recoverable and in fact the only way these accidents could have been avoided is not to stall in the first place.

So I don't think there is much merit in spin training as part of the PPL at all. I'd say that for an FI it is vital to learn, as I know of FI's who have been put into spins during a botched stall.

It was only when I did my CPL (FAA) that we really explored the envelope, and did all different types of stall (accelerated / turning / etc..), extreme unusual attitudes, stalls under the hood, as well as advanced stuff like chandelles and lazy-8's. Very worthwhile, but not necessary for PPL training....which after all is a licence to learn.