PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay To Close Bases
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 06:30
GTC58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westcoastcapt

You do simplify the facts. CX Canada is a unique setup for Canada. Technical you are employed by a Canadian Shell entity of an Hong Kong Airline/Company with the sole purpose of crewing the YVR and YYZ bases and operating Hong Kong registered and owned aircraft under a Hong Kong Operating Certificate. Which means you are employed by a Canadian crewing company which has no assets and the only purpose is to employ pilots. The matters are even more complicated that your future collective agreement will reference a global seniority list and a basings agreement. Anyways, if you really think Canadian Labour law will protect your position on your base you are mistaken. You might want to contact the Canadian ALPA guys who have dealt with such things as base reductions and closures before in Canada. I think though you guys will be safe as CX has a very poor track record with their legal advisors which mostly are in-house or HKG based.

And if you are Canada based what is the whole point of your post. You are excluded from the whole PX proceedings because as you mentioned yourself CX and AOA Canada have to bargain in good faith and as such you can not sign the PX letter as this would be violating the bargaining process. Sure some people here post strong opinions, but my guess is that the majority will not sign as I have observed that a lot of the guys/girls are beyond the point where they can be intimidated. After all the recent disappointments from 2009 until present day in regards of SLS, housing, basings, AFTLs and abuse of freighter PXing to just name a few and constant conflict it seems the pilots good will has vanished.