PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds against pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 23:42
pudoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're only partially right. The odds are also stacked against the experienced FO. These guys might have loss their jobs through airline collapse so they need to apply around for jobs only to find captains are wanted. Bugger. Another airline will offer for FOs, great he thinks, then he realises that this airline wants a young guy out of training who will work for nothing and pay for type rating and base training.

The likes of Ryanair and easJet are perfect examples of this. However companies like Monarch do take on both experienced FOs and new ones.

Whether it's fair to say new pilots have it harder than experienced FOs, I don't think it's true but not false either. It's hard.

But we must all remember that the economy is rubbish (we're even in another recession I think?? the UK that is), this must be expected.

My view is, baring in mind I'm not a pilot, that once everything is fully recovered and new airlines open up and exisitng ones expand they will be taking experienced pilots, there will be opportunities for new pilots out of flight school. You'll then see a reduction in the number of people who take Ryanair as their first and best option, and maybe a reduction in p2f. It's supply and demand IMO.

One thing that will change forever IMO is brand new FOs salaries. I think they are going to stick below 30k for ever now. But I do believe this is justified as a brand new FO you could be a death trap and you have to be watched very very closely initially.

A lot of people are extremely pessimistic about it all. They may have experienced things that give them the full right to think that. And whilst I agree people do struggle, I always wonder how much effort people really did to get a job. How well are they presented? Do they have the right personality? I know more people to get a job flying commercially then those that haven't within 12 months of finishing training. And this is from a modular school.

I really don't think it's as bad as people make out on here. As I said, we have a **** economy and becoming a pilot has always been hard. Now add on to the fact some countries have 25% unemployment. I think some people forget how bad a recession is then complain there are no jobs - no sh*t! Ok fine there are some jobs about, but you see my point.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into. It'll be a struggle at first, but guess what? So is acting, singing, becoming a footballer. They are very hard to get into, but when you get into it and you become good and experienced at what you do things pay off.

Be prepared to work as a baggage handler. My advice is don't finish training then go and work in fashion whilst waiting for your job. You have to surround yourself with aviation.

You seem to have the right expectations about this career, so now ask yourself is this really really something you want to do deep down? Or is it something you like the thought of and really want it just like how I really want a brand new car.

Last edited by pudoc; 20th May 2012 at 23:46.