PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds against pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 22:45
Tiger13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odds against pilots

First of all sorry if this in the wrong section but by looking at the others this section seems most appropriate.

Secondly I am VERY new to aviation with only 2 hours logged towards my ppl but you have all been where I am now so although I have little knowledge I feel it's the right time to be asking questions!

I have been looking around the forum, Talking to other pilots and instructors and from what I can gather the odds are stacked HEAVILY against new pilots, I was always led to believe pilots earn tons of money and it's for employers highly desirable.

This just doesn't seem to be the case, From the little I know it seems to become commercial a potential pilot would need to spend there own/parents/grandparents (and everyone else in the family's) money to get there, Also it's not cheap, When you do manage to get there and get your commercial (Sorry I dont know the acronym) you need to pay a load more of your own money to learn to fly THEIR planes, Only to be rewarded with a salary matching that of a manager of a clothes store (Newly trained FO £21K give or take?)

All that and thats if your lucky enough to be able to fund the training and get a job in what would appear to be a jobs market that doesn't favour anyone!

Thats my evaluation of it and it seems like these people dont actually want pilots as all the odds in this career are very much against you,

Luckily for me I am doing my ppl because I enjoy it and although I would like to go commercial it wouldn't be for the money it would be because I enjoy flying (Which I do) but if I couldn't get a job it wouldn't matter too much as myself and my partner own a relatively succesfull company, Even with that in mind though I cant afford commercial training, At least not unless it was spread out (Modular?)

Anyway thanks for reading and any clarification or disagreements welcome