PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first cross country!
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 21:37
IanPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I thought I would follow up my last thread with an update....it's been almost 2 months since I have flown. A combination of work commitments and a lot of bad weather meant that I've missed every single lesson between then and now.

However, I'd been booking double lessons in the hope that if the weather took a break, then perhaps I could get on with circuits. I'm getting there, but need more practice to get my flare right.

Anyway, last weekend, weather turned out ok, and I turned up to the airstrip ready for my circuit practice.

"Nope", says my instructor. "You've got a double lesson, weather's good, lets do another cross-country". I couldn't believe it, and nearly fell of my chair!

This time, he gave me chart and tools (well, sold them to me!) and I had to go through the planning. We decided Plaistows to Headcorn.

Flight plan was simple, but following the ground features was much much harder, as there was either too much 'city' or nothing.

Anyway, an hour and a few minutes later, there we are, having lunch in Headcorn....it was absolutely fantastic.

And the best bit of it all.....I was sound focussed on the navigation that once I got there, I stopped worrying about the landing, and as a result, it went really well. I think sometimes I think too much, rather than just go with the feel.

Journey back was great, and much easier as I had the picture in my mind....it was really just spotting things on the way back that I knew were going to be there.

So that is two lessons, two months apart, and two cross countries. The one thing I am sure of is that I love flying, and am just hoping I can now move some of the other stuff on.

Thanks for reading, and all those who commented last time, thanks....hopefully next time I post a cross-country, it will be solo! (OMG!)

IPZ