PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying after bumping the wing during taxi
Old 20th May 2012, 19:27
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bingofuel
Is the Rans not a permit aircraft, and as such maintenance can be done by the owner, and an inspector does the permit renewal?

I am not for one moment saying what the pilot did was good practice, but under the permit scheme can the owner not sign off his own repairs etc.?

I am just curious if legally as pilot/owner he can claim he examined the aircraft for damage, and is authorised to deem it fit to fly with no further duplicate inspection?

Any PFA/LAA inspectors On here able to tell me the procedure?
I'm a BMAA inspector, but an LAA member.

No, he isn't allowed to sign off his own repairs, EXCEPT where it's through replacement with "identical" parts solely, and then it should normally be counter-signed by another PPL, or by an LAA inspector.

In a case like this, if there is any damage not simply fixeable before next flight by replacement of parts, he should inform LAA engineering, they are likely to suspend the permit. The LAA will then get a report on the damage, agree with the owner (or just impose) a repair scheme, which once done needs signing off by an LAA inspector (who may not have done the repair work themselves). Not unlikely that a check flight would also be required.

For major repairs, he'd also (probably) need a letter of "no technical objection" from the designer.

G