PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 15:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning racing experience and road safety, most findings I am aware of do not report a better safety record for racing drivers, rather the reverse.
I do take the point that racing drivers will by their nature be racers and as such will probably be prone to driving faster but that is not the point!
On the other extreme I knew an accountant who was Mr safety in a car, ultra cautious right on the speed limit button.
He was fine till he coasted a brow of a hill to be met by a stationary broken down vehicle swerved, understeered straight into a bank which inverted the car. He and his wife were then hospitalised for months.
I would think that skid pan training for the ordinary motorist is a must and hardly equates to racing driver mentality but equips the driver with skills and an awareness of what does happen.
Do you teach students about fully developed spiral dives which can be very uncomfortable and themselves carry a certain risk.
I just feel avoidance training while excellent does not instill the instinctive reaction and identification of what the aircraft is doing as it leaves many things lodged in the unknown for the student pilot.
Avoidance maybe great but at some time you maybe faced with being unable to avoid.
While I appreciate you cannot do safe spin training in all aircraft you can in some.
Just to isolate spinning is also too narrow as the pilot should be aware of all the handling attributes of the aircraft he is flying.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 20th May 2012 at 16:09.