PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay To Close Bases
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 14:52
Westcoastcapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same old rhetoric!!!

Iron Skillet, thanks for responding so quickly to my post. I see I may have struck a nerve.

CX has always used threats to facilitate gains. How long have you been here? The reality is the last base they will close is the YVR base. They are worried about pilot retention and besides the severance packages would kill them. Why do you think negotiations are going so well in Canada. Much to the chagrin of the HKAOA, I might add. Both employers and employees are required to negotiate in good faith. It is the law. But more importantly the last thing CX wants is to go to arbitration. Just imagine their response when the arbitrator wants to see their books or the discussion of bases comes up. They tried the same threats with the YVR Cabin Crew, the clarion call being "take the cuts or we will close the base. Your costs are too high." There were no cuts and the cabin crew have a new contract.

You say the HKAOA Federation financed the onshoring negotiations. I suggest you have a look at the funds that are diverted to the HKAOA from the Canadian Union. The real issue here is the HKAOA used to leverage gains for HKG pilots on the backs of the based pilots. Those days are over with a completely negotiated contract here in Canada.

So........for all of your bravado, remember it is much easier to get rid of a pilot in HKG than on a base. So for you it is good luck!