PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deanland airfield - inexperienced ppl
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 13:43
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because the book figures (with safety factors of course) says it's OK does not mean that any old pilot on any old day will be OK. I think the OP is very wise asking for advice and taking a cautious approach to this. There are many pilots with a lot more than 100 hours who would do well to follow his example!

I was recently invited to fly a fast and (some might say) tricky aeroplane into a strip which was adequate for it (ie it and other aircrcaft of the same type had been in there many times before). I did not have too many hours on type and I had never flown it into this strip before so I agreed that I would fly to a much longer runway, practice some approaches and short field landings and then, if I felt that it was sensible I'd fly it into the destination; if not I'd go back to base and let someone else do the job!

The OP could adopt the same approach and make practice approaches and short field landings till he was comfortable or, as has been suggested by others he could take an instructor or suitably qualified pilot with him. In either case here the trick is to avoid at all costs being committed to land at the short runway. If the family visit is important and time critical - take the train! If you're just dropping in for a coffee then fly your practices, fly down there and have a look; if it doesn't feel right go around and make it better next time. If, after a few approaches it's not working you have to throw it away and go somewhere else.

That's why it's critical that you try to make your first visit on a day when there is no pressure.

Happy landings

3 point

Last edited by 3 Point; 20th May 2012 at 13:46.