PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular in Canada or Intergrated in Europe
Old 20th May 2012, 13:30
Elias-8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737 NG,

Thanks a lot for your feed back, I see where you're coming from. You're right we have to pay our dues somehow. I started in Nautical science (Navigating commercial Ships) There too, you need to start from the bottom and work your way up, no doubt about it. But At least you are guaranteed a job as an officer and the opportunity to be Captain withing 5-7 years.

I would love to go on the bush and learn how to land on unpaved runways, fly over Africa, or the Yukon in Canada. I just wish that there could be some sort of assurance that I will have that opportunity to be on an Airbus someday. After speaking to many pilots, I realized that most of them just get stuck as bush pilots. Then if they get lucky they get regional jobs in the USA and they end up sleeping in Hostels and really cheap accommodation for another 3-5 years. Where is the pride in that?

I'm at an age where I've already paid my dues, I just wished that I could have enough information to make the right decision regarding my aviation career, I am searching for the true answers to prepare my self.

I know it's possible, there are some routes, weather its Integrated or modular, i know there are ways to get these Airline jobs. I guess it depends on how badly I wanted.

Also I would like to add, that naturaly humans tend to rationaliazre "justify their actions for choosing the route they chose" For example someone who's done the modular route and put in his/her hours but never landed and airline job. There is a posibility where that person will justify his/her actions of taking modular, even though they may have regrets deep inside for not having enough money to do the integrated, right?

So, I don't want to discourage my self completely from the integrated route. If I find enough pilots that admit it's a way to go, i will need to question how they did it.

Also, I can only have 6 month off per year, well unless I chose to work 3months off and 3 months off. I only have 42,000 in the bank right now. So if i choose Integrated I will have to take two years and save money. which means I will have to start at age 32. Or go modular and just wreck my life, give up my officer career on the ship, give up my fat pay checks and 6 moths off vacation and go to the bush ..... Arghhhh

Thanks for your reply, really I'm very grateful to your feedback.