PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay To Close Bases
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 12:40
Westcoastcapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
History repeating itself!

It is interesting and somewhat amusing to read the rhetoric over the issue of PXing on the freighter, the threats of intimidation against those who sign the waiver and the bravado of how everyone is going to take on the company.

Gentlemen, there is a reality and I have seen this all before during my many years here at CX. First, there is no requirement to join the HKAOA in Hong Kong so pilots are free to do whatever they wish. CX knows that and acts accordingly, leaving individuals to make their own choices. I recall a freighter Captain almost losing his job because he once intimidated an FO because they differed on views of an issue.

Anonymous forums are a great way to vent one's frustrations and it is amazing how tough one can be when you don't have to give your real name. Many of my colleagues talked a big story, made disparing catcalls behind their colleagues backs and said how they were going to take on the company. Ironically, when the chips were down, it was these same individuals who were the first to turn and run. The result, 49 very capable pilots lost their jobs. And what did we do, we should have downed tools, but we all quickly went back to work. And happy to have our jobs.

For too many years, the HKAOA leveraged gains for HKG pilots on the backs of the bases. Those days are over as the bases now have the strength of collective labour legislation behind them. Pilots on bases have to belong to their union and pay dues. No more will the non joiners reap the benefits of those who are willing to take a stand. Do you really think we give a tinker's dam about HKG housing?

Who was the individual who once spoke of those who fail to study history, are doomed to repeat it?

Now gents, back to your anonymous bravado.