PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailplane lift
Thread: Tailplane lift
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 10:59
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rrr

That's odd because, from B707s ({#1} no hydraulic power controls) to 747s, the control yoke has always caused the same deflection in the flight control surface position despite any aerodynamic changes. The effort to move the yoke may have changed due to the artificial "feel" (Q pot on the 707; - Air Data Computer adjustment to spring stiffness on others), but we always knew how much the control surface was displaced by simply looking at the yoke (similar to the power steering on your car).
That's because you are going one way down the control path, I'm going the other!

Let me quote again from my "Bible" - Dick Shevell's book (p.315 in Iss 2)

"Stick fixed stability means that the pilot maintains the control column in a fixed position so that the control surfaces, specifically the elevators, are not permitted to move as the airplane changes its angle of attack. Stick-free stability describes the value of dCm/dCL with the elevators assuming the position, at each airplane angle of attack, for which the elevator aerodynamic hinge moment is zero. This will be the angle at which the elevators will float with no control force. Stick free stability is important for airplanes with direct cable control of the surface and/or its control tabs mounted on the surface. Aircraft with full irreversible powered controls will have stick fixed stability even when the pilot is flying "hands off" provided the pilot has trimmed the column to zero force at the initial flying speed"

In other words stick free stability depends on the feedback from control aerodynamics, whereas you, I think, are talking about the direct yoke/control surface path? Your B707 would have had stick free stability, but not the B747. And on my definition, stick free stability is meaningless on the A320 even in direct law, because it still uses irreversible powered controls.

On aircraft without any artificial feel (any left? - well maybe your Cherokee and similar) the control forces felt at the column would be proportional to the aerodynamic hinge moment on the control, but otherwise you get what the designer thinks you want (which I agree may not be the same as you actually do want )

Last edited by Owain Glyndwr; 20th May 2012 at 11:16.