PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence & Civil Registered Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 10:08
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
during the WWII military

Learn something new every day. However, given the number of civil aircraft compulsorily impressed into military service, and I'm only speculating here, might they have been left on the civvy register during the war period but carried military markings for military purposes ?

And what of the King Air 200s and DHC6's the Army originally leased from Hawkers, all carried civil registration. I think the lease Falcon 900s were also civil registered.

.. but then they were on the Australian Register. The KingAirs in the present contract are on the State Register but maintained as if civil aircraft with a few add-ons to keep the military folk contented.

I see the Boeing BBJs are both leased and carry A36-001 and A36-002 registration

I presume that the arrangement is similar to the KingAirs. Certainly, such tales as I have heard suggest that QDS maintains them the same as the civil fleet ?

Talking to the guys at a display regarding VH- rego, solely to do with the MR.

I doubt that this is the case. For military specific aircraft the military needs to impose a certification etc standard. For civil Types used in military service, it is a whole lot easier, cheaper, and simpler to rubber stamp the civil TC as the AMTC and carry on from there.

Certainly cost may well be a driver in the setup. However, the ADF has examples of State registration being maintained to civil standards without specific reference to the 059 (this would certainly up the ante due to the levels of sign off certification required).