PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to reduce heavy maintenance labour by 60%
Old 20th May 2012, 09:40
empire4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet-A-one, If you have read any of my previous posts you would know I'm a big advocate of eliminating 457 visas and outsourcing in general. It will be even more important now that QF will put about 600 people in our industry out of a job.

I have been very critical in the past about the ALAEA not pursuing the Government to remove or not allow foreign Engineers here. I have been told this is too hard and they can not control the skills shortage list.

It disturbs me that a place like JHAS will pay European people to relocate, pay the license conversion and have them not signing for months rather than train a local. Unfortunately this seems to be on the lower side of any unions priorities.

See for yourself, page 3 and has been there for years. http://www.deewr.gov.au/Employment/LMI/SkillShortages/Documents/SSL_AUS.pdf

Now whilst I disagree with what QF are doing, you have to step outside and see that old legacy airline work practices such as 2 man push backs (some stations), Radio LAME's and Avionic LAME's sitting in the crew room etc are not efficient. You are after all competing with airlines such as Singapore and Emirates. I do agree with such things as having a LAME at every A/C transit. Safety cannot be compromised and this is something that Joyce doesn't get.

The unions objective is to get you better T&C's......Right? So, If you get more money and the company wants you to do more, does this mean those T&C's have improved? Maybe not. It definitely means nothing but extra cost for the company if QF have old, outdated and inefficient practices in everyday operations which are not eliminated. Australia's non-skilled work force is far too over paid, which then in turn drives prices up, skilled wages up and hurts local business. Most Australian Unions represent non-skilled to low skilled workers. How do these things benefit a company trying to make money?

If you are off the belief that the union is looking after YOUR best interests, then you are greatly misguided and I hope you see the light soon. The very fact that the ALAEA represents AME's and other tradies at AVALON is enough for you to work this out. Massive conflict in interest.