PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India scams and inefficiency - hilarious!
Old 20th May 2012, 09:16
masalama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA testing

It's not just Air India though.

I was reading an article today in one of the Gulf newspapers (Khaleej Times, I think) that there were 14 pilots and 31 cabin crew from various Indian airlines found to have failed the alcohol test when reporting for duty in the first quarter of 2012 alone.

Air India was not, the article made clear, the worst culprit. That honour went to another Indian airline with a much shorter name. I would paste a link but have been unable to find the article in the online edition.

Does nothing to breed passenger confidence or underpin a safety culture, that's for sure!
While I am totally against any crewmember reporting for duty knowing they can be over the limit , how many airlines around the world have a 100% BA testing policy. That's right, every crewmember in India compulsorily is required to do an ALCO-3/4 test when reporting for duty and sign for the same .
It's something I'm used to, reach dispatch, go see the doctor, blow into the tube, sign the sheet in capitals only...,back to dispatch to look at the paperwork, that's how our day begins, everyday.

Start doing that around the world and then compare the results . I think this policy guarantees no crewmember would be intoxicated / under the influence in Indian skies, can you guarantee the same elsewhere. Pretty safe, I think?Is it a long term solution, no...but thats how things work here, no carrot only stick.

About Air India and scams , nothing's going to change as long as the unions have political backing from the parties . It's the most secure job in the world and they know it. Everything the minister says is pure rhetoric with no action. All the suspended staff from the current fiasco will be taken back and things will go back to normal.....jai hind.