PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence & Civil Registered Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 08:52
tail wheel

Received 232 Likes on 123 Posts
JT. Not getting into the technicalities, but during the WWII military DC2, DC3/C47, DC5 aircraft (and probably other types) carried both military and civil registration. It appears the series VH-C?? were reserved for either Government or military.

The DC3 at Higgins Field, Bamaga was USAAF Douglas C-49H (DC-3) VH-CXD, # 44-83228 operated by Australian national Airways (A.N.A.) under charter for military purposes and operated by RAAF aircrew. That DC3 with right hand side double doors, was originally registered as PH-ALT and later PK-ALT when transferred to KNILM.

Quite recently someone posted in PPRuNe Dunnunda an explanation that a number of military aircraft also carry an Australian civil registration. For example, I'm told all the DHC4 Caribou and C130 Hercs also carry VH civil registration in addition to the A4 and A97 military registration.

And what of the King Air 200s and DHC6's the Army originally leased from Hawkers, all carried civil registration. I think the lease Falcon 900s were also civil registered?

I see the Boeing BBJs are both leased and carry A36-001 and A36-002 registration. Do they also have an Australian civil registration?

The registration probably doesn't matter too much as I can't see the local CASA FOI ramping Julia's Boeing BBJ.....