PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 07:34
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask your average private pilot what immediate action is required to save yourself if the aircraft is rolled upside down on final because of wake turbulence, and hardly anyone will know, let alone likely have the presence of mind to do it if it actually happened.
I almost experienced that once. Flying practice instrument approaches (VFR) on a windless day with no seperation services provided at 1500'. Came in behind an airbus. Suddenly started experiencing loads of buffet on the airframe and then the aeroplane just started rolling quickly to the right. I had full left aileron and left rudder and we were still rolling right quickly (I was under the hood). Luckily I was with a very experienced instructor who shouted "my plane", took control, applied full throttle and pulled us up and out of the vortex. It was like time slowed down but it must have been seconds.

I think we were lucky, we had a 100kt approach speed so more effective controls, and I was with someone with a lot more experience than I had who recognised what was going on very quickly and knew a way out of it. I wouldn't like to have been inverted in a 172 at 1500' as I think the only way to recover would have been to continue the roll to wings level and recover from the dive. Don't know if there would have been enough altitude though.....