PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular in Canada or Intergrated in Europe
Old 19th May 2012, 23:43
Elias-8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular in Canada or Intergrated in Europe

Hello all,

First I'd like to thank all of you for your help. I am a newbie and it's been my dream to be a pilot since I was a little kid. Unfortunately I had to choose another career path to have a solid foundation, enough money and time off, so that I can live my dream to be an Airline pilot.

I am now 30 yrs old. I have enough experience in life to know that "you get for what you paid for." i have a descent jobs that pay well about $46,000/ Every 6 months after i pay tax. i work 6 motnhs on and 6 months off.

Here is my dilemma. i would rather have unbiased opinions and lets give our opinions only if we have experienced rather than basing our replies on assumptions.

In Canada I can get my ATPL Frozen for 75,000 US total. But from a lot of research I've come to realize that many pilots here have no options but the bush. There is only a handful of reputable Airlines, lets face the facts. USA is an option but there are many pilots there that have been flying for years as 1/O and only get 18,000/month wow. The regional is not a future. Perhaps for a 21 year old who's willing to stick around for 5-6 years and advance to better things.

On the other hand Oxford is the Harvard of Aviation, I would say CTC comes second, perhaps a few other ones in Europe. I see Europe and Asia the future of Aviation, for any serious Pilots who faces the facts.

Lets say all factors remain the same regarding Economy and politics. What would be the to my best Interest; Taking the Integrated course at Oxford $140,000? and if I do exceptionally well I may have the 50% chance of getting a solid 1/O position in an Airline? Or Do the Modular in CTC or Oxford and cross the river half way and not get a placement or get a chance to get my feet wet with an airline?

My other option is to stay in Canada finish my ATPL frozen, look for a job in Canada and convert my license to European? I will also be stuck like many other Canadian pilots, perhaps I will end up in the bush.

Or go to Greece FAS Pilot Academy in Rhodos and do my ATPL Frozen for $75,000 US/55,500 Euro.

I also have dual citizenship Greek and Canadian.

I have read the forums and i see that many pilots prefer modular. I don't get it, There must be a good reason why integrated is much more expensive. For my self, this may be my best option, because I've already sacrificed many years of my life going into a different career, in order to have the ability to produce more capital for my pilot training. But, 145,000 is a lot and if i don't get a placement I'll be kicking my self with steel toe boots. lol

lets face the facts guys, perhaps Integrated is the way. You give your best shot get high 90's do exceptionally well and when you graduate you have the chance to get in an airbus. Right?

I appreciate all your Experience, feed back and i value all your opinions.

Thanks,