PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 23:09
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
The "avoid" approach seems to me to be akin to saying that if someone is taught to land really well, teaching a bouce recovery or an overshoot after touchdown skill is not really necessary. Ideally yes, though practically a miss, in my opinion.

The more training one has in the unusual corners of flying, the less alarming those corners will be, and the better natural reactions will be there to get out - or better yet, avoid!
I find your bounced landing analogy unpersuasive. Teaching the recovery from a bounced landing is like teaching stalls. The manoever in this case, slow flight, has gone bad and you now need to recover; here are the skills you need.

Personally I think a landing analogy equating to the teaching of spins would be to have the student deliberately touch down at high speed nose wheel first in order to set up a case of the aircraft wheel barrowing. Yes it could happen but the solution is to not perfect the students control of the aircraft while it on the runway rolling along with the just the nosewheel touching, it is to instill an automatic reaction to recover from the situation, which in this case is obviously back stick and conduct a go around just like arresting a spin should occur at the first sign of a stall and uncommanded yaw not after the aircraft is allowed to establish itself in autorotation.

I however heartily endorse your thoughts about training in the unusual corners of flying. In a perfect world everyone would take upset training and thus develop the life saving automatic reactions you need when you find yourself in a bad place.

Ask your average private pilot what immediate action is required to save yourself if the aircraft is rolled upside down on final because of wake turbulence, and hardly anyone will know, let alone likely have the presence of mind to do it if it actually happened.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 19th May 2012 at 23:30.