PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 23:04
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite correct that teaching avoidance of stall or approaching spin is safer, for power aircraft. I found it rather scary in a Cessna 152, as demonstrated by my instructor. By comparison, stalls and spins and the recognition of these is required before a glider pilot can go solo. This is because we typically fly in thermals, at slow speeds for best height gain, and also turbulence, or gusts in thermals, certainly CAN stall the glider, and the last thing you want to do is come spinning down through all those other gliders in the stack circling under your cloud...they wouldn't appreciate it!

Low down spins are certainly to be avoided! these used to be taught in gliding just to put respect for the ground into the hapless student.

I find it helpful to remind the beginners that without realising it, they have probably experienced stalls .....after all, a well held off landing is a stall a few inches from the ground!

The experience of the stall is given early in the training now, as people fear what they havn't experienced. Same later on, with spinning. But it took me at least 5 years to learn to enjoy it.

The K13 glider, or the Puchaz at some clubs, is used for spin training. If curious, power pilots might like to try it in a glider, it is not so scary, and leads to understanding of the symptoms and effects. Speed control in the circuit and on approach is critical for avoiding stalls or spins too near the ground for the standard full spin recovery to save the situation.