PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 19th May 2012, 18:24
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no way of knowing but i think that most cases of flying into cloud will be done at or around say 80-100 knots , or at a relatively high speed . The training i would like to see is the fact that you could ( IF YOU WANTED TO ...) fly right up to a fog bank or low cloud and safely get within say 50 m of it .....but that would be at hover taxi speed . I am guessing ,but at say 35-40kn you could do a 180 within 100 m . The point i am making is that speed is actually more important than altitude . Speed stops you having the ability to lose hight rapidly , turn 180 rapidly ....the 2 things that you REALLY need to do rapidly . You even have the option of stopping while still going in the direction you are looking ( quick stop ) ....this could be the best action if you have gone into a suckers hole ....but lets not go there ...

Hughes ..just seen your post and couldnt agree more . I am not advocating flying in the sort of weather you mentioned . I would bin the flight even if it were a lot better than that because i do not tempt fate . I was very lucky that my early flying was in a professional company with a CP . What we really need is a professional pilot allocated to every new ppl , and he answers all those questions you never asked during the course .....he checks the weather on a day you are thinking of flying and CAN stop you . I think great idea but no idea who would be willing to do it or who would pay ....
as i think you sort of pointed out ...you can teach a monkey to fly a helicopter beautifully .....its never the skill that lets you down ....its the attitude that gets you killed . I really believe that .

Last edited by nigelh; 19th May 2012 at 18:33.