PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 18:10
TheQuietLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was a general comment, I was considering it across all routes I'm familiar with, that are operated by any/all 3.

Yes, the easyJet LPL-GIB flights can currently be bought quite cheeply, including right up to deparatue, but this is because they are NOT performing as easyjet wanted, hence why they are stopping them before the winter!
[Thouse flights are not priced where easyJet want them to priced.]

I was looking at more stable operations, which are more comparable:

Lets base this on LON-GIB (yes different London airports) and LGW-AGP. These are by no means the only routes I know well and my comment was not based just on them, but lets use them because you were talking with a GIB focus, I was talking generally:

Also, lets look at a weekend next month.

[In my world this is reasonably far out - amazed you are looking a year in advance! Obviously you live in a different travel world to me... I rarely book anything other than long haul more than 3 weeks in advance, for long haul anything up to 3 months in adcance but usually less!)

Based upon outbound Friday 15th, return Sunday 17th June.

LON-GIB

BA: £311 - no fees for luggage, no fees to enable online checkin, no fees for allocated seats, no payment fee, snack meal and drinks. Frequent flyer programme Avios credit [And could be only £438 for CE, with two bits of luggage, full meal service, lounge access.]

easyJet: £214 - scrum boarding, no luggage, no food or drink, includes £9 booking fee.
easyJet have multiple flights, I've gone with the cheapest, to move to a morning deparatue from UK, like BA and ZB would push the price up to £238.

Monarch: £189 - seat allocated at checkin so no scum boarding, no luggage, no food or drink, no booking fee. Frequent flyer programme, but not as good as BAEC (Vantage Club used to be better for the economy flyer, but BA have improved the EC a lot).

To me, the easyJet proposition is always the one that makes no sense. Scrum boarding, no frequent flyer programme, more expensive than monarch, and in personal taste, not as nice.

Now, lets look at LGW-AGP (same dates):
Going first for the cheapest flights, irrespective of time:
BA: £225. (late ish outbound, late night return)
Monarch: £211
easyJet: £193 (late night return)

Now, going for similar times (monring departure, pm return):
BA: £425
Monarch: £211
easyjet: £271

Again, if late night fine, I'd take the BA. If not ok, I'd take the monarch.

[I should say, I rarely travel school holidays either, so these prices are looking odd to me. I can tell you when outside of school holiday times, easyJets value proposition is even more crackpot.]

Last edited by TheQuietLife; 19th May 2012 at 18:14.