PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 19th May 2012, 17:57
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe his ideas are just a rehash of whats out there ....but i see no harm in putting it out again in a different way .....you have to admit the way we are teaching and training pilots IS letting them down ....they ARE dying , so what have we to lose ??

Some of what Chopjock and ANFI say i do agree with ( not all ...).
Even at the risk of being mauled by that pussycat TC ( Top Cat ) i know that you CAN fly safely in v low cloud ( say 250-300 ft ) . If you know your route and get below the cloud you can often have good viz ....certainly 3 -5 km . And if you fly at a speed that gives you plenty of time to see obstacles and do a 180 within your vision to my mind that IS safe . Most of us who fly up north fly in this sort of weather all the time and without bashing into things I think the confusion comes in when people take the view that you should not encourage low time pilots to do this .....quite correct and i certainly didnt fly in the type of conditions when i had 500 hrs as i do now .
I have always believed that you should be flown out towards crap weather by an experienced pilot and see where he turns back , which way he turns , what speed he comes up to it at etc etc You may find that you may have pushed further ....and that in itself is a lesson .
In any event always fun to imagine TC , Silsoe and Crabs moustaches bristling with indignation at the impudence of you little civvies ANFI and Chop ....

Last edited by nigelh; 19th May 2012 at 17:59.