PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 19th May 2012, 15:33
[email protected]

Received 656 Likes on 289 Posts
1 You can't rely on seeing clouds to avoid them - they are often indistinct - you have to fly to places which are clearly not clouds. Positive assurance of flight path.
= don't fly in the cloudbase
2 The furthest cue you can see is important you must keep being able to see it or further.

3 If the furthest cue disappears you must respond to that immediately (since you are on a path which will lead to IMC) even if you can still (for the time being) see a good distance.
= constantly assess the visibility

4 You must have slowed already to a speed which permits you to slow further sufficiently whilst descending to maintain visual contact ahead of you.
= slow down and go down to avoid the cloudbase

5 The angle you can descend at is limited by your energy. You must not have so much energy that you are forced to fly horizontally when you need to be descending.
5.5 you need to keep your collective (energy input) loose and ready to change on a constantly re-evaluating basis - faster/slower higher/lower
you can always go down in a helicopter - its called lowering the lever. If my collective is 'loose' I add friction.

6 You need to understand parallax. (like a piece of mountain's relative motion against its background) (same for clouds)
not quite sure what you mean by this but you have obviously run out of ideas
7 Treat the furthest thing you can see as the 'End of Your World' , fly as if landing just before the End of the World, if the EotW becomes further as you get closer then you can still plan on flying to the new EotW instead, if the EotW never becomes further then you will have landed before it.
= constantly assess the visibility

As I said, nothing new - just wrapped in pseudo-science and made up stuff

Last edited by [email protected]; 19th May 2012 at 15:35.