PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Searching for a good read...
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2002, 23:17
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MLS-12D

Thanks. Is there not also a book 'I learned about flying from that' or is it only the series of articles in Flying?

I found a couple more:

Robert Mads Andersen - 'Antonovs Over the Arctic' written together with Shane Lundgren, son of the founder of Air Berlin, and line pilot himself.

Norman Barfield - 'Broughton, from Wellington to Airbus' which you can get signed at Brooklands, where Norman is curator.

Len Buckwalter's The Pilot's Night Flying Handbook' (Aah those heady days before GPS...!) and

Weems - 'Air Navigation' THE authority on celestial navigation, LORAN, dead reckoning, etc. Fascinating to read what you had to know in the pre and just postwar (WWII) era.

Because they are such great photgraphers I've got to mention:

Gordon Bain - 'Silvered Wings', and

Charles E. Brown - 'Camera Above the Clouds', plus anything by Austin 'Ozzie' Brown.

A couple of coffee table sized books I enjoy are

Jonathan Elwes - 'Glasmoth', particularly because I have known 'Toly Gorbatov for a number of years, and

Tony Cowan - 'Chipmunks Around the World', in which I played a modest role, enjoying a brilliant p***-up later at the RAF Club.

My latest acquisition is John Zukowsky's 'Building for Air Travel', which, although not new, I picked up for almost a song (but he only accepted cash!).

And if you are looking for an excellent Xmas present, for yourself or your best buddy, you can't go wrong with the Aviation History Book from Jeppesen.

Happy Holidays!

Aerohack

Lucky fellow - mine could be anywhere, but once I find it, it's going to be shrunk-wrapped and put away (after a gentle read!)

brgds