PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 19th May 2012, 08:41
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Silsoe

Please tell me from your post

"interpersonal skills needed to manage the flight within an organised aviation system."

Where does the private owner fit into an organised aviation system then ? Think you need to wise up to reality
Hughes, did you read past the part that you quoted?

"In this context, .... Interpersonal skills are regarded as communications and a range of behavioural activities associated with teamwork.

In aviation, as in other walks of life, these skill areas often overlap with each other, and they also overlap with the required technical skills. Furthermore, they are not confined to multi-crew aircraft, but also relate to single pilot operations, which invariably need to interface with other aircraft and with various ground support agencies in order to complete their missions successfully."

I guess that if you even got to the work 'teamwork', you were unable to relate that word to single pilot flights and switched off.

There may well not be an 'I' in Teamwork however, look closer and you will find a 'me',
but most importantly you will find 'Tea'.

Why is tea 'most important? Because before going flying, perhaps one should sit down quietly for a few minutes with a brew and go through the planning and 'fly the trip' before actually getting into the aircraft!
Please take a minute now and read the section in the AAAIB report titled 'Weather Information' and ask yourself if a quick 5/10 minute think through before launching might have made a difference to the events of that day.

Please don't kid yourself or anyone prepared to listen to you, that single pilot flights are always flown alone.
IMHO, with every 'single pilot' flight there will either be someone else in the aircraft or directly involved with the purpose of that flight. As soon as that other person is at the departure point, pick up point, arrival point, sat in the aircraft or in the boardroom waiting, the pilot is put in a completely different mindset. Call it pressonitus, gethomeitis, commercial pressure, loss of face whatever you like, but the ability to say 'no' or 'sorry can't make it', 'I'll be late, lets reschedule', or most importantly "I'm turning round and going back', seems to disappear.

Not quite sure which reality you want me to wise up to